Aston Villa’s Supporter’s, Sponsor’s and Player’s Player of the Year Stewart Downing has given fans a much needed boost after a miserable season which has seen the former Middlesbrough man steal the show at Villa Park, by announcing that he is happy at the club and hopes to sign a new deal with talks already under way. The winger admitted that the club have been way below par this season but remained adamant that they were heading in the right direction, citing the signing of contract extensions with the young guns at the club, alongside big money signings such as Darren Bent, as evidence that the team will be much improved next term. With Ashley Young out of contract in 2012, it is widely expected that he will leave the club in the summer and many feared that Downing could follow suit with the likes of Liverpool interested in Villa’s star duo. However, the England international seems set to sign a new four-year contract until 2015, claiming that the club having shown such an interest in renewing his contract, despite it still having two years to run, is a real confidence boost.
“I think there’s been a couple of conversations already with my agent. I’ve already spoken to the manager who has said he’d like to keep me.
“I’m enjoying my stay here. I’ve enjoyed it since the first day I came. It’s a terrific football club. It’s fantastic they want me.
“There’s terrific players. I’m confident, despite this season, we’re going in the right direction and if we get the right players in then I’m happy.
“The important thing in football is, if you’re happy, then why change it?
“I know it’s been a disappointing season, but I can see the bigger picture.”
“It’s great. I’ve still got two years left and they’ve come to me with an offer.
“For a player that is brilliant because it gives you confidence that they have faith in you and that they reward people if they do well.
“If you see the young lads this season, they’ve all signed up to new deals so we’re heading in the right place.
“Darren Bent’s come here, he’s a big player and probably the main striker for England at the moment. I know he was desperate to come here.
“It’s a fantastic football club, it’s massive. We all know it should be doing a lot better than this and we will.”
“I think it’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well (being linked to other clubs). Ever since I was young I’ve read the papers and it’s said, ‘You’re going here, you’re going there’.
“Half of it’s not even true, it’s just speculation. Obviously if you have a good season you get linked. But I’m happy here.
“I’ve had a good season and hopefully I can carry that on.”
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups