In 20 league games this season, Villa’s highest league goalscorer is Stewart Downing with just 5. Emile Heskey bagged his third (6 in all competitions) last time out at Chelsea but a lack of goals, coupled with the leagues worst defensive record has seen Villa slump to 17th in the league, just a point off the relegation zone. Gabby Agbonlahor and John Carew are both yet to score in the league this season and Houllier seems to be looking to strengthen with reports suggesting Carew could be on his way out. This week has seen the club linked to the likes of Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz and PSG’s attacking winger Stephane Sessegnon. Stories on each player with a look into their stats over recent seasons accompany a rumour which speculates over a potential price for Villa trialist Omar Cummings in the following link.
Roque Santa Cruz is set to leave Manchester City after finding his options severely limited under Roberto Mancini. The Paraguayan has played just 25 minutes of Premier League football all season and is keen to escape his Eastlands nightmare since signing for £17m in 2009. In his first full season at the club he started just 6 league games, scoring 3 goals. It was his first full season at Blackburn in 2007/08 which caught the eye as the 29-year-old netted 19 times in 37 league games at a rate of a goal every 168 minutes. The forward also laid on 7 assists but was unable to replicate his fantastic record the following season amid transfer rumours and injury problems, scoring only 4 times in 20 appearances.
26-year-old Benin attacking midfielder Stephane Sessegnon has come to blows with his manager at Paris Saint Germain and looks set to leave the club in the near future. The news has alerted the likes of Villa who are thought to face tough competition for Sessegnon’s signature (try saying that quickly!) from Premier League rivals Newcastle. A £7m price tag has been placed on the skillful African’s head who has said that a return to the fray at PSG is ‘impossible’ after manager Antoine Kombouare told him he was an ‘arsehole’ and a ‘shit player’. Doesn’t sound great does it but the versatile attacker is highly regarded in France during his time in Ligue 1. However, Sessegnon is hardly prolific and seems to be more of an ‘assister’ than a goalscorer. In his 105 games for PSG he has scored 11 goals, setting up 18.
According to Goal.com Villa will have to pay around £2m if they wish to sign trailist Omar Cummings, who is expected join on loan later this month, on a permanent basis. After training with the club this week Houllier is believed to be interested in exercising the option of a short term loan until March for the 28-year-old Jamaican.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups