Villa are reportedly ready to re-enter the race to sign two of their much touted targets this summer after circumstances have made both Charlie Adam and Joey Barton affordable offerings.It was announced today that Joey Barton would not be offered a new deal with Newcastle once his current contract expires in 2012 after talks between the club and the players representatives broke down. His agent, Willie McKay has claimed that Barton will play out the rest of his deal with the Magpies but the latest developments are thought to have re-sparked the interest of Villa and Liverpool alike, though he is also thought to be attracting interest from abroad.
The controversial midfielder has been one of the Toon’s best performers this season, operating from a wide right role for much of the campaign, and has assisted more goals (5) and goalscoring chances (41) from set pieces than any other Premier League player. Those 5 assists add to another 4 from open play and 4 goals scored by the wannabe England international and self proclaimed best midfielder in the league. His pass success rate of 75% is less impressive but he does make a notable 2.53 key passes a game, double any other player at Newcastle.
Reports suggest that Blackpool captain Charlie Adam, all but certain to leave the club this summer having seen his side relegated, is available for a cut price £8m, £4m less than Holloway’s January asking price. Villa will have to join a long queue for the 25-year-old and are likely to be somewhere near the back of it, with Man Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham all thought to be interested.
The Seasiders star man scored an impressive 12 goals this term, though many were from penalties and fantastic free-kicks, and assisted a further 8 for his teammates. His pass success rate of 72% suggests that he is not really up their with the league’s best as Holloway suggests but he has an undoubted ability to pick out a ‘worldy’ as Paul Merson would say, something the Villa side is lacking. He attempts a team high of 2.3 shots per game, 7 long balls in a game, 1.7 dribbles a game and completes an further team high of 2.06 key passes per game, stats that are indicative of his importance to the Tangerines.
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups