Aston Villa and England defender Tyrone Mings became the latest footballer to receive racial abuse on social media.
The 28-year-old urged his fans to ‘fight for change’ rather than sympathising with him.
Mings posted a screenshot on his Twitter account of a racist message sent to him on Instagram.
“Another day in the life of social media with no filter,” Mings wrote. “Please don’t feel sorry for us, just stand side by side in the fight for change. Social media isn’t getting any safer without it.”
Aston Villa responded to the abuse by releasing a strongly-worded statement saying that they were ‘disgusted’ by the ‘abhorrent’ message.
The full statement read, ‘Aston Villa is disgusted by the appalling racist abuse directed towards Tyrone Mings on social media,”
“In the early hours of this morning, Tyrone received an abhorrent and vile private message on his social media account.
“We condemn all forms of racial discrimination and will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with Tyrone, who is an inspirational figure at the forefront of the fight against racism.
“The club will continue to work closely with the Premier League, football authorities and social media platforms to tackle this disgraceful online behaviour.”
Another horrific case of racist abuse online that will surely put social media companies under even more scrutiny to take action in preventing racism on their sites.
- Tyrone Mings: Villa defender subjected to racist abuse on social media
- Dean Smith praises Villa’s ‘super subs’ as Villa come back to beat Fulham
- Jack Grealish ‘back and raring to go’ ahead of Fulham on Sunday
- Why Grealish absence proves that Villa are still too reliant on their talisman
- Jack Grealish to miss out against Newcastle – injury latest
- Dean Smith criticizes ‘sloppy’ Villa players after Sheffield United defeat
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton