Villa’s veteran midfielder Robert Pires, all but certain to leave the club this summer, has hit out at the club for showing him a lack of respect, admitting that his short spell back in the Premier League has been a failure.The 37-year-old grew frustrated with a lack of first team opportunities and said that being overlooked in the dying moments of the Arsenal win showed a lack of respect from Gary McAllister. I would suggest Robert, that you weren’t brought on because when you are its effectively like losing a man, a la West Brom!
“I was very happy to be able to sign a new contract with an English club, even more so at Aston Villa with Gerard Houllier. But when I look back, I am extremely disappointed. I knew I wasn’t going to be a guaranteed starter but I would have liked to have been used a bit more.
“During the penultimate match, at the Emirates against Arsenal, we were winning 2-0 and I thought McAllister was going to put me on. It was at that moment I said to myself there was a lack of respect.
“My experience at Villa has been a failure. I would not like to end that way and so will play into a 20th season. But if at the end of the summer I have no offer I will stop.”
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups