Local lad Gabby Agbonlahor, Villa’s current longest serving player in the squad, has revealed ambitions of becoming Villa’s club captain one day despite having a poor season this term which has seen him in and out of the side. The striker spoke to the Birmingham Mail, insisting that he has set himself some ambitious goals after signing a new long term contract with the club earlier this season.
“I’m committed to the club and that’s why I signed a new contract,”
“A number of players have signed long-term contracts because it’s where we want to play our football. I’ve got no reason to go anywhere else. I’ve had big achievements in the five years I’ve been in the first-team squad.
“The 5-1 win against Blues and reaching the Carling Cup final were big moments for me. The perfect hat-trick against Man City was a big thing too. I remember it well.
“Aston Villa means everything really. When you see other players that are linked with other clubs you don’t really see my name linked with anywhere else. Other clubs know that this is where I want to play my football.
“Being local helps and if you ask any of the lads that live locally they will never want to leave the club. That is me and Aston Villa.”
“To make my debut when I did and to get to 200 games in a short space of time is a big thing,” he added. “It’s a big achievement and hopefully I can keep going and get to three or four hundred appearances. Goals are important.
“Ask anyone, especially a striker, and they’ll tell you goals are important, but as long as the team’s doing well you’re happy.
“But getting a goal makes your more happy.
“When I was younger it felt really special scoring in front of the Holte End and it still feels special now.
“It would be nice to get the armband in a one-off game or to be the regular captain, but that’s not really on my mind at the moment – maybe one day in the future.”
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups