Villa have released a statement on the condition of manager Gerard Houllier after the Frenchman was taken ill last night and admitted to hospital. Reports suggest that it is unrelated to the health issues he faced at Liverpool, though the details of his illness remain unknown though it has been confirmed that he has spoken to both CEO Paul Faulkner and assistant Gary McAllister, who will be in charge of Saturday’s clash with Stoke.
The Club can confirm that Gerard Houllier was admitted to hospital last night. He is in a comfortable condition and he wishes to convey his appreciation to Aston Villa supporters for their concern and good wishes.
The manager spoke to chief executive Paul Faulkner this morning and he is currently undergoing tests. It is anticipated that he will remain in hospital for several days.
Assistant manager Gary McAllister has taken training this morning and he will be in charge of the team for the game against Stoke on Saturday at Villa Park.
The Club’s thoughts at this time are with Gerard and his family.
Chief executive Paul Faulkner said:
“On behalf of the football club, Mr. Lerner and I wish to convey our best wishes to Gerard. I spoke with him this morning, as did Gary before he took training, and he sounded very positive.
“I’ve also received a lot of good wishes from fans and I would like to thank them for their kind thoughts in wishing Gerard a speedy recovery.
“I will see him this afternoon, along with Gary, and we will pass on the fans’ messages. I know they will mean a lot to him.
“We would ask everybody to respect his privacy and that of his family at this time.”
When the words ‘thoughts at this time are with Gerard and his family’ are mentioned it doesn’t sound good so we can only hope that he recovers and behalf of, well me, AstonVillaBlog send on our best wishes to the Villa boss. UTV!
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups