Shamed Villa defender Richard Dunne is set to return to the fold in tomorrow’s clash with Everton after recovering from a month-long lay-off with a shoulder injury. In that time the centre-back, alongside defensive partner James Collins hit the headlines after it was revealed the duo had instigated an argument on a ‘team-bonding’ spa trip. The pair were subsequently fined by the club, though manager Gerard Houllier claims that the problem has been dealt with and forgotten. Dunne made it through international duty in the Republic of Ireland’s international match with Macedonia and is line to start on Saturday. The 31-year-old is wary of the club’s tantalising position above the drop but remains optimistic, preferring to focus on how high the team can finish rather than the prospect of relegation. To read the Irishman’s comments
“It’s been a tough season for us all and we know there are tough games still to be played but everyone is up for the challenge.
“We have eight games to turn this around and we’re all in it together, to make sure that the club secures a safe position and climbs the table to as high a place as possible.
“Everton will not be an easy place to go to try to begin this run but the incentive is there, with the table still being so tight, to grab a top-half finish. That’s far from beyond us.”
“Obviously, our confidence was knocked a bit by the result against Wolves. In that sense, the international break probably did us some good.
“I came through the game against Macedonia, there were no problems and now we’re back at it, all fresh and raring to go.
“To have come through 90 minutes for Ireland was really good and I’m looking forward to playing my part in these final eight games.
“The fans’ support will push us on and we’re determined to finish the season as strongly as we can.”
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups