Villa’s new signing, French veteran Robert Pires has heaped more pressure on Gerard Houllier after claiming the impressive 3-3 draw with Chelsea did little to relieve the strain on the under fire boss. The 36-year-old is claiming that the next two games against Sunderland, tonight, and Sheffield United in the FA Cup this weekend could well be make or break with regards to his manager’s future at Aston Villa. The winger also confirmed a certain amount of unrest in the dressing room since his arrival with many of the player’s disagreeing with Houllier’s training and tactical policies. Talking to the Sun on Tuesday, Pires revealed that he is confident that the 63-year-old can turn the club’s fortunes around but feels the next two results could be crucial for his compatriots survival in the job. Read the full interview with Villa’s ageing ex-Arsenal icon
“What’s certain is that the two games coming up against Sunderland and against Sheffield United in the FA Cup will be very, very decisive for Gerard’s future.”
On speculation regarding the relationship between Houllier and certain players, Pires continued,
“It’s true it’s a bit tense. Gerard is having trouble getting his message across.
“He is used to a certain way of working and he arrives with new methods. From what I’ve understood, there have been several meetings between Gerard and the players who didn’t really agree with him.
“It’s not an easy task for Gerard because he has the idea to get off to a new start with new players, so I think the transfer window will be very busy on our side in January.
“From what I gathered, given what he’s said, he really needs players because he wants to freshen up his squad.
“There will be a lot of departures, some arrivals. Results have been mediocre but what makes me honestly think things can get better is the draw against Chelsea.”
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups