It was announced today that Aston Villa and Wigan had finally reached a deal regarding an asking price for the Latics’ want-away winger Charles N’Zogbia.
Having bid £9m over a week a go only to see their attempts to sign the Frenchman rejected, Aston Villa fans were beginning to worry that a deal would not be reached and that another supposed transfer target would slip through their fingers. Wigan chairman Dave Whelan insisted that any offer under £10m would be rejected having initially told the player and club that £9m would be enough to see their star man leave. Not wanting to be seen to be held to ransom, Villa and chairman Randy Lerner refused to up their offer into double figures but remained in negotiations with Wigan and it is now evident that an accord has been reached half-way at £9.5m.
The offer is marginally higher than Villa had originally intended to fork out but their reluctance to be played around with, with Whelan desperately trying to spark a bidding war, shows strength from the club, who now seem set to sign their man. The player will now discuss personal terms with the club having refused to do so with McLeish at Birmingham this time last year and pending an agreement and a medical being passed, N’Zogbia seems likely to be lining up in a Villa shirt next season.
It remains to be seen as to whether the likes of Newcastle and Everton will rival Villa’s bid but with the latter relying on selling players before buying their chances seems unlikely. The chances of a return to St. James Park for the 25-year-old are also thought to be slim, with the Toon board seemingly reluctant to part way with all of the cash they received from the sale of Andy Carroll, despite promising Alan Pardew otherwise.
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups