Reports this morning from the Daily Mirror claim that Tottenham have leapfrogged Liverpool in the race to sign veteran keeper Brad Friedel with the American favouring the prospect of first team football which is far more likely at Spurs than his former club. Meanwhile, the Guardian report that Villa have re-established their interest in Rangers stopper Allan McGregor. All this plus the results of last weeks poll of who Villa fans want as their next number 1 are revealed.The Mirror have stated that Harry Redknapp is willing to match Liverpool’s offer of a two-year contract which the 40-year-old is set to choose over Villa’s one-year extension option. The Spurs boss is keen to bolster his goalkeeping ranks following constant blunders from Huerelho Gomes. It was believed that Friedel was set for a return to Anfield but the prospect of playing second fiddle to Pepe Reina has seen the veteran, who has played every Premier League game in the past 7 seasons with both Blackburn and Villa, reconsider his options.
In other news, the club are reportedly back in for Rangers and Scotland keeper Allan McGregor having seemingly dropped their interest having been linked on numerous occasions over the course of last season. However, in the article published yesterday, The Guardian claim that any move may be reliant on Gerard Houllier’s return to management, something that seems highly unlikely following this morning’s revelations. It had previously been reported that the Frenchman had decided to look elsewhere as he felt the Scot was not tall enough. Rangers are believed to rate their first choice stopper at around £5m.
Finally, in last weeks poll inquiring who Villa fans wanted to replace Friedel if and when he leaves the club, a close run thing was eventually won by Shay Given, who tipper long-time favourite Ben Foster to the top spot. A late surge from Ali Al-Habsi was notable, with the Bolton keepers future unsure, with all three picking up decent support. The one candidate I proposed who did not gain much backing was Blackburn’s Paul Robinson who beat the ever present poll favourite ‘Other’ at the bottom of the poll. After today’s McGregor rumours I’m interested to know how many of you would favour the Scot ahead of the alternatives or if not, where you would place him in a preferred list of next number 1s?
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups