Aston Villa take on Southampton on Sunday and BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson believes that Dean Smith’s side are in for a tough time against the Saints.
Southampton are coming into this game on the back of a 2-0 win over Everton and they will be full of confidence and momentum right now.
They have improved a lot since the arrival of Ralph Hasenhuttl and it will be interesting to see if they can build on their win over Everton with the three points this weekend.
Aston Villa have been in outstanding form this season as well and they have picked up 12 points from 5 League games. They managed to pick up a stunning 7-2 win over Champions Liverpool earlier in the season.
It will be interesting to see if Aston Villa can deal with Southampton’s sharpness and intensity when the two teams meet on Sunday.
Southampton have a quality striker at their disposal and they could be very dangerous going forward. Aston Villa have defended very well this season and they will have to remain well organised at the back in order to contain the likes of Danny Ings.
Lawrenson believes that it will be a close game but Southampton are likely to edge it in the end.
“The more I see of Southampton, the more I like them. They were excellent against Everton, and put in a really good team performance,” he said.
“They dealt with everything and stopped Everton from playing but they also looked lively up front. Che Adams and Nathan Redmond are a handful, and then you have your man Danny Ings, who scores for fun but works so hard with it.
“This should be a good game but Leeds’ intensity proved a bit too much for Aston Villa last time out, and I think Saints will edge it.”
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups