20-year-old Tottenham full-back Kyle Walker is set to join on loan after manager Gerard Houllier confirmed that the deal should be completed in the coming days. The young England Under-21 international has spent the first half of the season on loan at Championship leaders QPR where he has impressed in his time at the club. Neil Warnock was keen to extend a deal which ran out earlier in the month but it appears that Villa have won his signature with Walker set to join for the next 5 months. Houllier was apparently keen to add some pace to a lumbering back-line and injuries to the likes of Luke Young have forced him into business. Houllier told reporters “We were looking for full-backs and Kyle Walker is [arriving] on loan from Tottenham, I can confirm that”. The Villa manager will be boosted by the fact that Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has given the go-ahead for the youngster to play in the FA Cup and Walker could be thrown into action immediately upon arrival against his boyhood club Sheffield United. It’s good to see business being done and I’m looking forward to seeing the player touted as a hot prospect by the London club, but I can’t help but feel that this is a deal which Tottenham wouldn’t have sanctioned in recent seasons. Villa’s recent demise under Houllier has seen them fall into obscurity and completely out of competition with the likes of Tottenham who were previously strong positional rivals for this failing club. Either way I’ve seen the lad once or twice and he looks decent and certainly offers something different to our backline, what do you think of the deal? After breaking the news a few days ago I wrote a short profile on the player in a previous article shown below.
Walker has cemented his place as first choice right back at QPR in a season which has seen them rocket to the top of the table under Neil Warnock. The 20-year-old has made 20 appearances in the league picking up 4 assists in the process. During those 20 games Walker has been part of a defence which has kept 9 clean sheets and it seems Houllier is looking to line up a replacement for the ageing and currently crocked Luke Young. The Frenchman is reportedly keen to bring the young full-back on loan with Tottenham unlikely to want to sell the hot prospect.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups