Aston Villa fans favourite Carlos Cuellar has admitted that talk of a return to former club Rangers, where he excelled, picking up the SPL Player of the Year award before joining Villa, has got him ‘excited’ over a potential transfer.The 29-year-old defender is seen by the majority of fans as the sides unluckiest player over recent years, and it seems that the frustration of being constantly overlooked in his favoured centre-back position, or any position at all for that matter, has finally taken its toll.
The Spaniard is currently recovering from knee surgery which is set to keep him out of action for the next two months or so, but King Carlos is still hotly tipped for a transfer this summer, with old club Rangers emerging as his favoured destination. In an interview with the Daily Record, Cuellar stated;
‘I have to find out what Villa want me to do but I’m very surprised to hear that Rangers want me back. ‘It’s exciting because Rangers, for me, has so many good memories.
‘It’s exciting if there is a possibility to go back because all of those good memories come back – the city, the club, the people, how much they loved me and how much I loved them.
‘Then there is the Champions League and the chance to win trophies again. Who wouldn’t be excited about something like that?’
If he leaves the club I, along with many fans I’m sure, would be very sad to see him go. Carlos, in my opinion, is the most consistent centre-back that we have in the squad, and has been unfortunate to stay behind the likes of Richard Dunne and James Collins in the pecking order under Houllier. He was criticised for his hesitance on the ball and lack of attacking threat when playing at right back under O’Neill but that was not his position and losing Cuellar would only serve as to not realising the ability of somewhat of a Villa icon on the terraces. I salute you King Carlos and wouldn’t blame you in the slightest for wanting to move on!
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups