Aston Villa’s reserve keeper Brad Guzan has extended his loan spell at Hull City after impressing in a short spell at the in recent weeks. The American has made four league appearances for the Tigers and will now stay with the Championship outfit until the end of February. In his four games with Hull, Guzan has conceded four goals, picking up one clean sheet in the 2-0 home win over Barnsley. Guzan will have been hoping to impress Houllier since the manager’s arrival but has featured just once under the Frenchman in his first game as boss, the 3-1 League Cup victory over Blackburn. It seems the 26-year-old hasn’t sufficiently proved to his manager that he can replace compatriot Brad Friedel in the long-term with Houllier on the look out for new targets.
One of those targets is believed to be 23-year-old, England Under-21 international stopper Joe Lewis. Villa were rumoured to have had a £400k offer rejected by Lewis’ League One employers Peterborough, with chairman Barry Fry branding their offer as ‘crazy’. After hearing of Houllier’s interest Lewis submitted a transfer request and it is believed that Villa are set to up their efforts in signing 6’5″ stopper. He is one of a number of young English keepers, along with Scott Loach and Jason Steele, to have been touted with a move to Villa Park. The highlight of the highly rated youngsters career is undoubtedly a shock call-up to the senior England squad due to an injury crisis, though Lewis remained as an unused substitute for the friendlies against Trinidad & Tobago and the USA.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups