Gerard Houllier has revealed an intent to hold talks with veteran goalkeeper Brad Friedel early next year to discuss whether both parties are interested in agreeing a new contract. The American will be 40 next year and the manager has confirmed that he is on the lookout for a future replacement for Friedel with a host of names being linked. It was believed that Rangers keeper Allan McGregor was top of the list but according to reports, although the Villa management were impressed by the Scotsman over various scouting assignments, the club feel that at 6 foot tall, he is too short. Dortmund keeper Roman Weidenfeller, 30, has apparently replaced McGregor as the priority target though the likes of young Championship stoppers’ Jason Steele and Scott Loach have also been linked. Houllier seemingly left the door open to Big Brad to sign a new contract after it was suggested that his time would be up at Villa Park come the end of the season.
“We are looking at several goalkeepers – and we’ve told Brad
“We’re looking for a keeper for the future.
“If Brad is fine in February, then we will keep him. We’ve told him that, if he feels OK.
“I’ve spoken to him and said ‘obviously, you’re 39, so I need to look to the future but I’m perfectly happy with you’.
“And, if he feels fine, why not? We’ll ask him in February. If he feels alright, we’ll keep him.
“If he stays, he’ll stay as the first-team keeper.”
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups