Jean Makoun is considering a move away from Lyon after the signing of Yoann Gourcuff in the summer has seen the Cameroon international slip down the pecking order. Injury to the summer signing and Lyon’s other first choice centre midfielder Jeremy Toulalan has seen Makoun gain some sporadic appearances this year but the 27-year-old former Lille man has revealed that he is searching for first team football once again with Gerard Houllier hotly tipped to fight for his signature.
“The winter market? There are clubs interested,” he told L’Equipe.
“Lyon opened the door and haven’t ruled out a sale. I hope they haven’t changed their mind.
“I know I am on the fringes of the side, with Yoann Gourcuff and Jeremy Toulalan almost fit again.
“I play, then I don’t play. It is frustrating. I have always played and I want to carry on playing.
“I could do that at Lyon or maybe somewhere else. It is a complicated situation at the moment.”
Makoun has been linked to Villa in recent months and I completed a review of the Lyon midfielder in a rumour mill feature at the start of last month which you can read here.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups