Kevin MacDonald’s reserve side continued their decent form, stretching their unbeaten run to five games with a 3-2 victory over Wolves. The second string came from behind for the second game on the trot in front of on-looking manager Gerard Houllier. Villa found themselves 1-0 down at the break but an amazing second half saw the home side run out victors. The two line-ups could have easily been placed in an early cup round with seasoned professionals on either side. The Villa side included the likes of Guzan, Cuellar and Sidwell supported by promising youngsters such as Barry Bannan and Nathan Delfouneso.
The visitors started the brighter of the two sides with Nenad Milijas pulling the strings. Wolves were rewarded for their positive play with an opening goal from defender George Elokobi. He rose to meet a Milijas corner to head past Guzan who had unfortunately lost his footing. The goal sparked a mini revival from Villa who were dominating proceedings going into the break but couldn’t find an equaliser.
Villa began the second half much better than the first and neat build up between reserves veteran, Moustapha Salifou and Sidwell allowed the latter to cross for the oncoming Graham Burke to convert at the back post on 59 minutes. The game was now swinging in Villa’s favour with goal-scorer Burke, replaced by Courtney Cameron. The substitution paid dividends with Cameron breaking down the right to square for Nathan Delfouneso. Delfouneso played in Hogg who rounded the keeper before returning the ball to the 19-year-old striker to tap home. With his confidence high after a second goal in a week, Delfouneso produced a little bit of magic after Sidwell and Bannan had combined to release him on the left. The striker weaved his way into the box before a slight deflection helped his effort into the corner of the net.
Elokobi netted his second of the game in stoppage time after a scramble in the box before another corner nearly brought Wolves an equaliser. The home side held on and MacDonald’s side earn another 3 points with Delfouneso impressing in front of Houllier and Co.!
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups