Aston Villa have officially confirmed the signing of 35-year-old keeper Shay Given from Manchester City with a fee believed to have been agreed at around £3.5m for the Irishman.
Given will replace Brad Friedel who left for Spurs earlier in the summer as the club’s new number 1 having signed on the dotted line to a five-year-contract at Villa Park, becoming new manager Alex McLeish’s first signing in the process.
The stopper is widely thought of as one of the league’s best and most consistent goalkeepers over the past 10 years, despite falling out of favour at Eastlands due to the emergence of Joe Hart.
In 252 Premier League games for the likes of Blackburn, Newcastle and City, Given conceded 338 goals (1.34 per game), keeping 66 clean sheets in the process (1 every 3.8 games).
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups