Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish has struggled to cement his place in the England national team despite impressive performances for over a year but the 25-year-old has been called up for the upcoming international break.
The England manager believes that Grealish has improved a lot and he is moving further up the England pecking order with time.
There is no doubt that Grealish has improved a lot since the start of this season and his extra influence in the final third has convinced the England manager that he’s ready for international football on a regular basis.
The Aston Villa midfielder has picked up four goals and four assists in six Premier League games so far and he was outstanding for England during the last international break as well.
Southgate said: “He is really starting to threaten the goal and be influential in the final third more or more which is great.
“When I’ve talked to him about the next level for his game, when he looks at the numbers that Sterling and Rashford as wide players have contributed, he’s now starting to do that.
“I think that wasn’t necessarily the case at the end of last season but, in the last couple of games in particular the team haven’t done so well but, against Southampton the other day, I thought his contribution with the ball for the team was outstanding. He’s going to get better.
“I think he’s continuing to do that and he’s moving further and further up our list of players. I think he’s got to just keep on that trajectory. He’s doing really well.”
The midfielder will be delighted with the comments from the England manager and he will be hoping to build on his performances in the upcoming months.
A player of his calibre deserves to play for England regularly and it will be interesting to see if he can hold down a regular starting berth for the England national team going forward.
- Aston Villa vs Southampton Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Aston Villa v Man Utd Pre-Season Friendly: Date, Kickoff Time & How To Stream
- Aston Villa’s aggressive recruitment campaign – What to expect from Boubacar Kamara and Diego Carlos?
- Aston Villa Transfer News Latest – Rangers ‘wonderkid’ set to move to Villa Park
- Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Leicester City vs Aston Villa Preview & Latest Transfer Updates
- Aston Villa April 2022 Preview: Tottenham and Leicester to test Villa’s top-half credentials
- Steven Gerrard thrilled after Aston Villa eased past Brighton
- January Transfer Window Shows Aston Villa Mean Business This Season
- Luis Suarez Giving Serious Thought to Securing Summer Switch to Aston Villa