Former England manager Steve McClaren has compared Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish to the England legend Paul Gascoigne.
Gascoigne was one of the finest English players of his time and McLaren believes that Grealish is a similar player.
McClaren said: “What a performance, he’s really matured. He’s the focal point of the Aston Villa team, he needs good players around him, and what Aston Villa have bought this season is good players.
“You saw him link up with [Ross] Barkley at the weekend against Liverpool and play two exquisite passes which no one else could play and see and we haven’t got that type of midfield player, striker, creative player.
“We haven’t had it for a long time, that Gazza type, he is that type. Yes, he can frustrate at times, but he produces now, he’s got end product, he can score, he can assist and it showed in the goal that Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored.
“So, I think he was a major plus. He’s got to gain the trust of the manager that’s the most important thing, and if he does that he should be in the England team because with good players around him he becomes a better player.”
The Aston Villa star has done very well in the Premier League so far and he was outstanding on his full England debut earlier in the week as well.
It will be interesting to see if he can hold down a regular starting berth under Gareth Southgate in the coming weeks now.
There is no doubt that Grealish was the best player on the pitch against Wales and he could be the playmaker England need right now.
The Three Lions need someone who can carry the ball and find key passes in the final third. Southgate needs someone with his skill set.
The Aston Villa star could be the ideal provider for the likes of Kane, Sancho and Sterling.
Apart from his attacking qualities, Grealish is a hardworking player who will help England defensively as well.
Although the Three Lions have talented attacking midfielders like Mason Mount, Grealish is definitely the pick of the bunch.
- John McGinn opens up on Aston Villa’s start and his fitness
- Dean Smith comments on Ross Barkley’s long term future at Aston Villa
- Dean Smith confirms Tom Heaton could return next week
- Aston Villa manager Dean Smith heaps praise on Ross Barkley
- Gabriel Agbonlahor reacts to Pundit’s shock claim regarding Jack Grealish
- Jack Grealish hails Ross Barkley after his late goal in Aston Villa win
- Gabriel Agbonlahor questions Gareth Southgate’s treatment of Jack Grealish
- Ezri Konsa hails the team chemistry at Aston Villa
- Aston Villa held talks with Josh King regarding summer move
- Aston Villa handed the opportunity to move for Said Benrahma