Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has recently been called up to the Argentina squad after his impressive performances in the recent months.
He has now opened up on his decision to join Dean Smith’s side. The 28-year-old left Arsenal to play regularly and his decision has paid off so far.
Martinez fought his way into the Arsenal starting lineup towards the end of the last season after an injury to Bernd Leno and he has been excellent since then.
He delivered at Arsenal every time he was called upon and he has been fantastic at Aston Villa so far.
It will be interesting to see if he can build on his impressive start to life at Villa Park and hold down a regular starting berth even when Tom Heaton is back.
There is no doubt that he is a very good player and he is starting to prove his worth every week.
If he continues to perform at this level, it won’t be long before he is the number one keeper for his club and country.
Speaking to the media about his decision to join Aston Villa, the goalkeeper revealed that he has no regrets.
He said to Independent: “The first time in my career I’ve followed my instincts. Before I signed the contract, I breathed deeply and said no matter what happens, I will never look back. I rejected a lot of clubs and then, in my first game, I saved a penalty and had a man of the match performance.”
- Aston Villa sign Morgan Sanson from Marseille on four-and-a-half-year deal
- Bertrand Traore ‘really happy’ with goal against Newcastle
- Villa set to enter Morgan Sanson transfer talks
- Jason Tindall addresses David Brooks transfer rumors
- Dean Smith wins Premier League manager of the month award
- Ajax and Celtic seriously interested in Villa’s England U17 star
- Report: Aston Villa taking an interest in AFC Bournemouth star
- Aston Villa vs Everton postponed because of Covid outbreak
- Tom Heaton linked with shock Arsenal move
- Aston Villa ‘ask the Premier League to postpone Everton game’ amid Covid-19 nightmare