The Daily Mail claim that Aston Villa not only want Charlie Adam from relegated Blackpool but also his teammate and Seasiders top scorer DJ Campbell, who like new manager Alex McLeish is formerly of Birmingham City.
The report claims that the Scot is lining up a move for the striker who has revived his career since signing for Holloway’s Blackpool. As part of what the Mail claim is a £35m transfer kitty, McLeish would only need to relinquish £1.25m of that to force the tangerines into a sale, with other sources suggesting the club have set a budget of as much as £40m as they look to rebuild under the new regime.
The article also confirmed McLeish’s liking for Charlie Adam having handed the Scot his full debut at Rangers in 2003, as well as another star from across the border and long term target Allan McGregor, to replace veteran keeper Brad Friedel.
Campbell, now 29, scored 13 goals last season to finish one ahead of Adam as Blackpool’s top scorer. Those 13 goals came in 30 league starts and were accompanied by 1 assist, 1 yellow card and 1 red in the front man’s return to the Premier League. The striker attempted 1.7 shots per game, second only to Adam in his sides relegation campaign, and completed an impressive pass success rate of 81%.
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups