Aston Villa manager, Dean Smith, heaped praise on the match-winner against Arsenal, Ollie Watkins.
The Villa boss revealed he has not been surprised by the impact the striker has made so far at Premier League level.
Aston Villa signed the striker for a club-record fee, reported to be £28million potentially rising to £33m.
The striker caught Villa’s attention after the 24-year-old scored 26 Championship goals in 2019-20.
Watkins’s goal versus Arsenal was his 10th Premier League strike of the campaign.
Smith said of Watkins: ‘I think every week we’re speaking very well of his performance, and that’s what he brings to the team.
‘He’s selfless in terms of what his work-rate is. He’s such a good footballer but a good team-mate as well.
‘It’s no surprise to me he has got into double figures already in the Premier League in 21 games.
‘The football that Brentford were playing last season was Premier League football, Premier League ready, so I knew he was ready to come in.’
Ollie Watkins’s performances this season have been so impressive, he has been linked with a potential England call-up.
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton
- Dean Smith confirms that Aston Villa have received no approaches for assistant John Terry amid Bournemouth rumours
- Ollie Watkins reveals how Villa stars persuaded him to join the club
- Dean Smith praises ‘selfless’ Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins
- Alan Hutton reveals what the Villa players are saying about Emiliano Martinez
- Christian Purslow explains reasons for Villa improvement and makes exciting prediction
- 3 ways Aston Villa can beat Arsenal this weekend