Aston Villa manager, Dean Smith, heaped praise on the match-winner against Arsenal, Ollie Watkins.
The Villa boss revealed he has not been surprised by the impact the striker has made so far at Premier League level.
Aston Villa signed the striker for a club-record fee, reported to be £28million potentially rising to £33m.
The striker caught Villa’s attention after the 24-year-old scored 26 Championship goals in 2019-20.
Watkins’s goal versus Arsenal was his 10th Premier League strike of the campaign.
Smith said of Watkins: ‘I think every week we’re speaking very well of his performance, and that’s what he brings to the team.
‘He’s selfless in terms of what his work-rate is. He’s such a good footballer but a good team-mate as well.
‘It’s no surprise to me he has got into double figures already in the Premier League in 21 games.
‘The football that Brentford were playing last season was Premier League football, Premier League ready, so I knew he was ready to come in.’
Ollie Watkins’s performances this season have been so impressive, he has been linked with a potential England call-up.
- Aston Villa on the verge of signing Lucas Digne
- Aston Villa set to sign Philippe Coutinho
- Aston Villa’s January Premier League Fixtures Preview
- Tyrone Mings: Villa defender subjected to racist abuse on social media
- Dean Smith praises Villa’s ‘super subs’ as Villa come back to beat Fulham
- Jack Grealish ‘back and raring to go’ ahead of Fulham on Sunday
- Why Grealish absence proves that Villa are still too reliant on their talisman
- Jack Grealish to miss out against Newcastle – injury latest
- Dean Smith criticizes ‘sloppy’ Villa players after Sheffield United defeat
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police