Ross Barkley signed for Aston Villa on a season long loan deal earlier this summer and the 26 year old has been outstanding for his new club so far.
The Chelsea midfielder has scored some important goals for Aston Villa already and Dean Smith has heaped praise on the attacking midfielder for his contribution so far.
The Aston Villa manager revealed that Barkley was a player his side needed and that is why the Villans brought him to the club on loan. Barkley’s creativity and work rate was missing from Aston Villa’s midfield.
He also claimed that Ross Barkley’s attitude and work ethic has been tremendous so far this season.
Smith said to FourFourTwo: “He’s someone I felt we needed. I look at the Premier League and you need legs in your midfield area because you’ve got to cover a lot of ground in a game.
“Ross does that. He’s got ambitions to get into the Euro squad at the end of the season. With the quality Chelsea have got, they couldn’t guarantee anyone minutes. His work ethic and attitude has been tremendous. He brings us that added bit of quality that we needed.”
The former Everton midfielder has scored two goals in three Premier League games for Aston Villa so far and it will be interesting to see if he can build on this in the coming months.
If he continues to perform at this level, Barkley could easily break into Gareth Southgate’s England squad this season.
- Tyrone Mings: Villa defender subjected to racist abuse on social media
- Dean Smith praises Villa’s ‘super subs’ as Villa come back to beat Fulham
- Jack Grealish ‘back and raring to go’ ahead of Fulham on Sunday
- Why Grealish absence proves that Villa are still too reliant on their talisman
- Jack Grealish to miss out against Newcastle – injury latest
- Dean Smith criticizes ‘sloppy’ Villa players after Sheffield United defeat
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton