Aston Villa succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against Brighton in the Premier League earlier and manager Dean Smith was not happy with the VAR ruling in the game.
Aston Villa were awarded a penalty late in the game but VAR decided to overturn the decision. Michael Oliver had initially awarded the penalty after Solly March took down Trezeguet in the box.
Dean Smith claimed that the contact was evident and the penalty should have been given.
The Aston Villa manager also claimed that his team were not necessarily poor in their performance tonight but they missed key chances and they had to pay for that eventually.
He said: “I don’t know what a penalty is now. We could all hear the contact inside the ground.
“If VAR thinks it’s not a penalty then just tell the referee it’s not a penalty. It wasn’t given so we have to take it on the chin.
“I don’t think we were bad. We missed chances and we’ve made big mistakes for their goals. We have to defend much better.
“Brighton were a threat on the counter but I wasn’t overly concerned.
“I thought we had control of the game and if we had taken our chances we would have won.”
Danny Welbeck and Solly March scored the two goals for Brighton earlier and Ezri Konsa scored the only goal of the game for Aston Villa.
Aston Villa started the season really well but their recent form has been a cause for concern. It will be interesting to see if Dean Smith can figure out a solution and help Aston Villa turn their form around in the coming weeks.
- Aston Villa’s aggressive recruitment campaign – What to expect from Boubacar Kamara and Diego Carlos?
- Aston Villa Transfer News Latest – Rangers ‘wonderkid’ set to move to Villa Park
- Aston Villa vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Leicester City vs Aston Villa Preview & Latest Transfer Updates
- Aston Villa April 2022 Preview: Tottenham and Leicester to test Villa’s top-half credentials
- Steven Gerrard thrilled after Aston Villa eased past Brighton
- January Transfer Window Shows Aston Villa Mean Business This Season
- Luis Suarez Giving Serious Thought to Securing Summer Switch to Aston Villa
- Aston Villa on the verge of signing Lucas Digne
- Aston Villa set to sign Philippe Coutinho