Aston Villa manager Dean Smith has claimed that 34-year-old goalkeeper Tom Heaton could rejoin the group next week.
The experienced shot stopper has been recovering from a knee injury since last season and he is close to returning to action now.
Heaton has already begun work with the Aston Villa goalkeeping coach Neil Cutler and it will be interesting to see if he can regain his foreman fitness in the coming weeks.
Aston Villa signed Emiliano Martinez from Arsenal earlier in the summer as their number one keeper and it will be interesting to see if he Heaton can regain his starting berth from the Argentine.
Martinez has been quite impressive for Aston Villa so far and Dean Smith is unlikely to drop him as soon as Heaton returns.
The 34 year old will have to work hard to get back into the team and he might be a backup to Martinez in the coming weeks.
Heaton’s return to action will come as a boost to the team and Smith will be delighted with the depth at his disposal now.
Aston Villa are doing very well in the Premier League right now and Heaton will be hoping to help them improve even further.
The 34-year-old will need a few weeks to regain his match fitness and it would be ideal if Aston Villa used the Cup games to help him regain his sharpness.
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton
- Dean Smith confirms that Aston Villa have received no approaches for assistant John Terry amid Bournemouth rumours
- Ollie Watkins reveals how Villa stars persuaded him to join the club
- Dean Smith praises ‘selfless’ Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins
- Alan Hutton reveals what the Villa players are saying about Emiliano Martinez
- Christian Purslow explains reasons for Villa improvement and makes exciting prediction
- 3 ways Aston Villa can beat Arsenal this weekend