Reports were circulating this morning in the Daily Mirror that Curtis Davies was set to rekindle his playing career at Leicester City. Aston Villa have now confirmed that the 25-year-old will link up with the Foxes on a month-long loan deal. Leicester, now managed by Sven-Goran Eriksson, who was interviewed for the job at Villa Park, have pounced to sign the out-of-favour centre back in a deal that should benefit all parties. The club have also confirmed that young striker James Collins Jnr, who netted in yesterdays reserve win against Blackburn, has joined League Two side Burton Albion for the same duration.
When Davies signed for Villa from rivals West Brom he was considered as one of the hottest young defenders in England warranting an £8.5m price tag. He had been linked to moves to Liverpool and Arsenal but the former Baggies skipper opted for the short journey to Villa Park. After some good performances in claret and blue he forced himself onto the fringes of the England squad but injuries have hindered his progress massively. After falling out with the previous manager, Davies struggled to retain his place after a shoulder injury and surgery meant a lengthy lay-off.
His last league start came last August and his last goal for Villa came in a memorable 3-1 win at Anfield last term. The deal should see him get regular first team action, at least for the next month anyway, and Davies should show his quality in a league that may not trouble him too much. The loan looks set to help Davies engineer a move away from Villa in January with the centre back currently lying 4th or 5th in the Villa pecking order. Davies is in line to make his debut tomorrow against Hull in the Championship.
In other news, promising youngster James Collins Jnr. has joined Burton Albion on loan after impressing at youth and reserve level for the Villans. The 19-year-old scored a penalty in yesterday’s 2-1 win over Blackburn Reserves and will be a significant loss to Kevin MacDonald’s second string side. The month loan should do the lad a world of good at senior level and hopefully in his short spell at Burton, he can show his potential a net a few goals.
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups