Villa centre-back Carlos Cuellar was left out of Sunday’s final day victory over Liverpool after undergoing a knee operation in London which is likely to keep the Spaniard out for up to three months and potentially the start of next season.It has been revealed that the defender suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee (whatever that is (a meniscus not a knee)) earlier in the season and is now set for a lengthy lay-off in which he is set to miss the entire pre-season following an operation.
Cuellar has been tipped with a move after what many Villa fans would consider to be a prolonged period in which the defender has been unfairly overlooked under the current and previous regime. The 29-year-old revealed on his Twitter to an inquiring fan last month that he wanted to stay at the club but reports suggest that he is being lined up for a return to his homeland.
Cuellar last started a game back in March in the win over Wolves on the 19th, a game in which he picked up the man of the match award but was subsequently dropped following the return of Dunne or Collins (I don’t remember!) Any clubs previously interested in the centre-back will have been alerted to the news and may be perturbed from a bid due to worries over his fitness, i.e. medicals etc.
In my opinion, on his day, he is Villa’s best centre back but I wouldn’t blame him for looking elsewhere and it is testament to the man that he wants to stay and fight for his place. Too often he has been deployed out of position and I hope this injury doesn’t mean he will struggle to break into the team next year but I fear it will. Wish him a speedy recovery.
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups