Rumours have speculated, from myself included to be fair, that James Collins will have been fit for the weekend’s clash against Wolves after recovering from a calf injury, but the defender has refuted the club’s and in turn helped alleviate a bit of pressure on his manager. The Wales international is currently in training with the national side preparing to face England on Saturday and was confirmed as fit by the national set-up as early as Tuesday leading to reports that he was not included in Saturday’s squad due to his misdemeanours with fellow centre-back Richard Dunne. The Irishman is also away on international duty but was almost certainly not fit to face Wolves having only began training today after recovering from a shoulder problem. The Wolves game saw Chris Herd, primarily a midfielder, fill in at centre back alongside Carlos Cuellar admirably, but more experience in the backline would have been extremely useful.
“Has it done me good to come away? Yes, it has.
“It has obviously been a difficult couple of weeks at the club for various reasons.
“Obviously what happened was not great and it is not something I want to go into at the moment.
“It is just ideal to come away here and concentrate on one thing, which is getting three points for Wales.”
Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aston-Villa-Blog/193085960709067
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups