Aston Villa striker John Carew has placed Britannia Stadium as one of the hardest places to get a result in the Premier League. Last season Stoke’s home record was impressive and the nature of their football makes it a hard place to go. Add to this the atmosphere and home support and Carew feels that the fixture is up there with the so called top four amongst the most fearful away days in the campaign.
Carew has a decent record against tonight’s opponents netting the winner in Villa’s single win from 6 attempts against the Potters. In 2008/09 he also received Villa’s goal of the season for a stunning strike at Villa Park. Carew knows that after a long international break the side must be prepared for a hard task ahead.
“It will be a very tough game. It’s one of the most difficult away games in the Premier League, no question about it.”
“Stoke are a physical side and it will be a physical game on a small pitch. We really have to be up for it and if we are, I am confident we will get something out of the game.”
Although his goal of the season strike 2 years ago will live long in the memory, the Norwegian admitted that a last minute comeback from Stoke dampened his delight.
“I set myself to get a pass and control it, but Stan (Stiliyan Petrov) smashed it at me! I decided to just go for one because the ball came so hard at me I just needed to make it continue.”
“I pictured it in my mind and it went just like I was hoping for. I hit it exactly as I wanted to and it was an amazing feeling to see it go in. But of course it is mixed emotions for me because we didn’t win the game.”
Let’s hope John can get revenge on the comeback that spoiled a goal worthy of winning any game with another stunner against Stoke tonight. The game is Live on Sky with KO from 20:00. Read the full match preview of the game right here – http://astonvillablog.com/stoke-city-vs-aston-villa-match-preview/
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups