Aston Villa are scheduled to play their final pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Villa Park on Saturday.
Dean Smith’s side have already played three friendlies in preparation for the new Premier League season. The Villans picked up a 1-1 draw at Bristol City last month before they managed to beat Wycombe Wanderers by a 5-2 scoreline at Villa Park.
Earlier last week, they made the trip to the Emirates Stadium to face Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal and were able to come up with a 3-2 victory, with teenager Jacob Ramsey starring with a brace.
Villa were originally scheduled to begin their campaign this weekend with an away trip to Manchester City, but the game was postponed due to the Cityzens’ participation in the Champions League quarter-final.
Hence, they don’t begin their top-flight season until a week on Monday against Sheffield United, but prior to that, they will visit Burton Albion for the second round of the League Cup on September 15.
Watkins has joined the club after netting 26 goals for Brentford in their run to the Championship play-off final last term and it will be interesting to see whether he can make his mark in the Premier League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Avfc.co.uk
- Tyrone Mings: Villa defender subjected to racist abuse on social media
- Dean Smith praises Villa’s ‘super subs’ as Villa come back to beat Fulham
- Jack Grealish ‘back and raring to go’ ahead of Fulham on Sunday
- Why Grealish absence proves that Villa are still too reliant on their talisman
- Jack Grealish to miss out against Newcastle – injury latest
- Dean Smith criticizes ‘sloppy’ Villa players after Sheffield United defeat
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton