Aston Villa are scheduled to play their final pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Villa Park on Saturday.
Dean Smith’s side have already played three friendlies in preparation for the new Premier League season. The Villans picked up a 1-1 draw at Bristol City last month before they managed to beat Wycombe Wanderers by a 5-2 scoreline at Villa Park.
Earlier last week, they made the trip to the Emirates Stadium to face Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal and were able to come up with a 3-2 victory, with teenager Jacob Ramsey starring with a brace.
Villa were originally scheduled to begin their campaign this weekend with an away trip to Manchester City, but the game was postponed due to the Cityzens’ participation in the Champions League quarter-final.
Hence, they don’t begin their top-flight season until a week on Monday against Sheffield United, but prior to that, they will visit Burton Albion for the second round of the League Cup on September 15.
Watkins has joined the club after netting 26 goals for Brentford in their run to the Championship play-off final last term and it will be interesting to see whether he can make his mark in the Premier League.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Avfc.co.uk
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton
- Dean Smith confirms that Aston Villa have received no approaches for assistant John Terry amid Bournemouth rumours
- Ollie Watkins reveals how Villa stars persuaded him to join the club
- Dean Smith praises ‘selfless’ Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins
- Alan Hutton reveals what the Villa players are saying about Emiliano Martinez
- Christian Purslow explains reasons for Villa improvement and makes exciting prediction
- 3 ways Aston Villa can beat Arsenal this weekend