West Ham have terminated the contract of Jack Wilshere through mutual consent earlier today.
The former Arsenal player has failed to live up to the expectations at the London club because of his injury problems and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
As a free agent, he could be a decent signing for most Premier League clubs.
Aston Villa could look to take a chance on the former England international this summer. They have had a fantastic summer so far and their start to the season shows how much they have improved.
However, they could still use more depth in their central midfield. They are lacking a bit of craft in the middle of the park and Wilshere could be a handy option for them.
On a free transfer, it would be a gamble worth taking.
The midfielder is used to English football and he could make an immediate impact at Villa Park if he can stay fit.
Perhaps a pay-as-you-play contract could be ideal for both parties.
It remains to be seen which club is willing to take a chance on Wilshere this summer.
Despite his injury history, it could be a move with major potential upside.
- Tyrone Mings: Villa defender subjected to racist abuse on social media
- Dean Smith praises Villa’s ‘super subs’ as Villa come back to beat Fulham
- Jack Grealish ‘back and raring to go’ ahead of Fulham on Sunday
- Why Grealish absence proves that Villa are still too reliant on their talisman
- Jack Grealish to miss out against Newcastle – injury latest
- Dean Smith criticizes ‘sloppy’ Villa players after Sheffield United defeat
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton