Liverpool have again shown an interest in one of our ‘Young’ talents. After pursuing right-back Luke over the summer, Roy Hodgson has now been linked with a move for Ashley, and not for the first time. Since the takeover of the club by NESV it is believed that a healthy transfer budget has been introduced to bring some top names to the club once again. Ashley Young has been on the Liverpool radar since Benitez was at the club and it now seems as though the Anfield side are renewing an interest. Reports have suggested that the Reds are ready to test Villa’s resolve with a £15m bid in January though a move is unlikely. In recent weeks Gerard Houllier has stated that Young would not be up for sale for anything less than £80m! Is he worth £80m? No. Is he worth a quarter of that? Possibly. Villa bought Young, now 25, from Watford in a big money move which many felt was hasty at £10m. Young went on to prove doubters wrong in his second season at the club, winning the PFA Young Player of the Year and earning a place in the Premier League Team of the Year in the process. In truth Ashley hasn’t replicated this form for a little while but still represents a huge asset to Houllier’s side with a bid of £15m probably not enough in today’s climate. Despite admitting that he admired Young’s talent, Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson rubbished the rumours today.
“I wouldn’t have thought there’s a manager in the Barclays Premier League who hasn’t given Ashley Young a thought at some stage or another. But thinking ‘this is a good player’ and signing him are two vastly different things.
“I could give you quite a long list of players that I admire and think are very good.
“But I’m afraid there is no truth in the rumour if there are any negotiations taking place between Ashley Young and Liverpool.”
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups