Aston Villa have sealed a contract with exciting wing prospect Marc Albrighton. The 20-year-old has signed a 3 and a half year deal which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2014. The news will come as a boost to Villa fans and manager Gerard Houllier after impressive performances have shot the emerging star into the limelight. Villa will have warned off many prospective buyers for the youngster in tying Albrighton down for the next 4 years. Gerard Houllier has acted quickly in ensuring the future of his prized assets remain at Villa Park after defender Ciaran Clark signed a new four year contract this time last week. Chelsea and Manchester United were both credited with an interest in Clark who was keen to stay at Villa to develop his game further. Local lad Albrighton was ‘over the moon’ to sign for Houllier’s side and had plenty of praise for his current club.
“I am absolutely over the moon. As soon as the gaffer came to me and said the club would like to offer me a new deal I was always going to sign it. There was no doubt about that.”
“This is the club I want to be at. It’s the club I’ve loved playing at for the last 12 years. I don’t see any reason to change that. I’m really looking forward to the next three and a half years. It’s the perfect club for me. It’s the club I’ve supported since I was a boy.”
Albrighton was also keen to reveal the influence of the manager and staff at the club in making his decision such an easy one. He went on to praise the youth set-up, with many of the players he came through the ranks with blossoming and pushing for a first team place.
“The manager is a big factor, definitely. He’s got a great track record and he’s a great manager, as are the other staff who work around him. The lads are brilliant to so for me it’s a no-brainer.”
“We have some great young talent at this football club. Ciaran played out of position the other day but he was probably our best player on the pitch on the day. He’s done superb, as has Barry Bannan, Nathan Delfouneso…they’ll all be looking to push on and get new contracts.”
Albrighton turns 21 later this month and described the new deal as ‘a great early birthday present’. Congratulations Marc and well done Mr. Houllier, the likes of Ciaran Clark and Albrighton need to be kept away from the lure of the big clubs, especially Manchester City!
- Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Huge Test for Emery – Aston Villa Predicted Lineup and Preview vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Aston Villa eye Europa Conference League success after impressive 2022-23 season
- Aston Villa forward Cameron Archer set to join Sheffield United in £18.5m deal
- Aston Villa in July: Four preseason fixtures as Emery aims for another excellent season
- Aston Villa make formal offer to sign Villarreal star Pau Torres
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Newcastle United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Aston Villa in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures
- Manchester City vs Aston Villa Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups