It seems relaunching this site has cursed Villa to some extent. A 6-0 crushing defeat to Newcastle being followed up by an unceremonious dumping out of the Europa Cup at the hands of an old enemy. Villa lost 3-2 at home to Rapid Vienna who have knocked us out at the same stage in consecutive seasons. The tie ended 4-3 on aggregate against a side who we should be beating comfortably. Please see the full round up on the Match Report page of the site. Although it is early days it appears that one of last season strongest defence’s would now struggle in a junior Sunday football league. Conceding 9 in two games against inferior opposition does not exactly instill confidence for the rest of the season.
Will Kevin MacDonald call time on his short reign thus far at Villa Park and more to the point should he? It is clear that the player’s would like to know who will be leading them into the new campaign and the uncertainty appears to be affecting them. Mistakes were made tactically in the game resting players who, after a full pre-season and just 3 games under their belts, should not need resting. I feel the outcome would have been different had Warnock started in place of Beye who was at fault for 2 of the 3 goals. Curtis Davies was poor once more and should do his talking on the pitch rather than moaning to the media about not being played because frankly Curtis, if you’re going to play like that every week you’re better off in the reserves.
Stephen Ireland looked in good shape but may be wondering what he’s gotten himself into since joining the club and the likes of Heskey and Albrighton also put in good shifts. It was in the defensive third where we looked dismal and when the ball is delivered into the box at the moment we appear to be giving away free gifts to opposing sides who are more than happy to accept. Are some players surplus to requirements at the club and who do you think should be bought in?
In other news youngster Harry Forrester will be hoping to gain some invaluable first team experience at a decent level after agreeing to join SPL side Kilmarnock on loan. The 19 year old forward who was signed from Watford has impressed in the reserves and we wish him all the best for the season and look forward to him coming back bigger and better.
Who do you think should be the next manager? Where is it going wrong on the pitch at the moment? I want to know your opinions or if you just want to have a good moan about the club that’s fine by me. The site is now fully up and running and updated so keep checking for updates and surely things can only get better? Or maybe worse?
- Tyrone Mings: Villa defender subjected to racist abuse on social media
- Dean Smith praises Villa’s ‘super subs’ as Villa come back to beat Fulham
- Jack Grealish ‘back and raring to go’ ahead of Fulham on Sunday
- Why Grealish absence proves that Villa are still too reliant on their talisman
- Jack Grealish to miss out against Newcastle – injury latest
- Dean Smith criticizes ‘sloppy’ Villa players after Sheffield United defeat
- Aston Villa report ‘sickening’ racist abuse of youngster to the police
- Can Aston Villa finish in the top six this season?
- Dean Smith laments below average Villa but praises ‘fantastic’ Emiliano Martinez after goalless draw with Brighton
- Three Aston Villa players with a point to prove against Brighton