Whenever divulging the pre-match facts for games, Villa always seem to be the side who have the unwanted statistics but this week, both Villa and Wigan look like they could lose! Not sure how that would work? Confident of a win but here’s a few things you might not know about this clash over the years.
Stats courtesy of www.whoscored.com via Opta:
- Only one of the 12 Premier League matches between Aston Villa and Wigan has ended as a home win and none of the last 10. (Home wins 1 Draws 4 Away Wins 7).
- Wigan have won three and drawn three of their six trips to Villa Park in the Premier League era, but have won only one of the last six against Villa home and away.
- When the two sides met at Villa Park last season, Wigan’s goal was netted by Charles N’Zogbia who has since moved to the Midlands in the summer.
- Wigan have won just two of their last 13 Premier League away games (W2 D5 L6).
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last seven Premier League games at Villa Park, winning three and drawing four.
- The Villans have lost just one of their last 14 Premier League games but they have drawn the last four in a row.
- Wigan have lost their last three Premier League matches but haven’t lost four in a row since October 2008.
- Richard Dunne scored his 9th Premier League own goal last weekend, two more than any other player in the division’s history.
- Villa are only the third team in PL history to draw five of their first six games (after Ipswich in 1992-93 and Fulham last season).
- Aston Villa have the worst shooting accuracy in the Premier League hitting the target with just 31% of their shots.